Undergraduate and graduate students are breathing a sigh of relief as they enjoy the fact that their finals are either behind them or will be by the end of the week. Most are now staring a few well deserved weeks of winter break in the face and may be a little overwhelmed with their new found freedom. Many may be tempted to spend their entire winter break catching up from the numerous all nighters school forced them to pull. The problem with that is that your break is temporary and you will eventually have to return back to the struggle that is higher learning. Here are six tips to help you make the most of your winter break.

Many students are rejoicing in the fact that it's finally winter break! While it may be tempting to sleep through it, here are 6 tips to help you make the most of your well deserved break!

How to Make the Most of Your Winter Break

Thought it may be tempting to sleep your entire winter break away, when it ends, you don’t want to look back and feel as though you wasted your time off. These tips will help you return to school feeling rested and restored.

Catch up on sleep – You are undoubtedly very tired and certainly deserve some R&R. Spoil yourself by sleeping in 1-2 hours the first five days of break, but try not to go much longer. After all, you don’t want to sleep through your entire break.

Spend quality time with friends/family – You’ve probably missed out on a few family events because of school. It is always a bummer when you have to tell a friend you can’t make their birthday dinner because you need to study. Winter break is the perfect time to make up for all the events you’ve missed. Host a game night or maybe have a family movie night, anything that will allow you to have some fun uninterrupted by school time with the ones you love most.

Try something new – Take advantage of this downtime and try something you’ve been thinking about all semester. Maybe it’s a new restaurant or a bar you heard has great music. Whatever your desire is,, allow yourself to throw caution to the win and create a cool story for all your friends when you head back to school.

Complete your FASFA – I know, it almost pains me to suggest you need to be responsible during your time off, but it is what it is. If you’re a financial aid recipient you probably know that the FASFA opens on January 1st and the earlier you complete it, the better your chances of getting all the financial aid you need.

Apply for summer internships/fellowships –Ā I’m sorry, more responsibility. The summer will be here before you know it and when school resumes, you’ll be too busy to plan for summer or apply for internships. Make the most of your time off and submit a few applications.

Get ahead – No matter how hard you try or wish, break will end and school will resume. Get ahead of the game by printing syllabi, marking exams in your planner, and if you’re feeling really ambitious, go ahead and start your reading. Getting ahead will help you feel less overwhelmed when school does start.

Students around the globe look forward to winter break and often times are so burned out by the time it actually rolls around. I definitely suggest NOT worrying about school for 75% of break and spending the remaining 25% putting yourself in a place to succeed during the spring semester.

How will you be spending your winter break? What tips do you have to make the most of winter break?


(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

13 comments on “How to Make the Most of Your Winter Break”

  1. Yes…that FAFSA is so important for student loans. I always forgot to complete it each year and it almost hurt me. Definitely enjoy your break and make the most if your time with friends and family. Before you know it school will be in the way again.

  2. I’m so excited for winter break. I think I need to pre-plan in order to make the most of winter break. I want to make sure I have blog posts scheduled so I can spend my entire two weeks with my family distraction and social-media free!

  3. I like the try something new. Hek even going somewhere new with the down time is nice. I do appreciate a nice day of sleeping in but little people seem to frown on that. I’m going to take one day at a time, relax and slow down.

  4. After starting my postgrad this gone September I have been feeling burnt out like mad trying to work my 9-5, grad school and blogging plus traveling on top it’s been nuts but I have one last exam tomorrow and it’s off until
    February I will implement some of these tips after Christmas

  5. Since now I’m working, long weekends are like winter breaks to me. The time I slumber, read my fave books, write my thoughts, etc. Or my chance to travel!

  6. I’M currently on my winter break and this tips came really handy. Just to be productive and have an experience, im doing winter internship. šŸ˜ƒ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *