I confessed a while back that I wasn’t much of a makeup wearer, but since I started this blog I’ve been making a greater effort to step my game up. I certainly believe there is a certain level of education necessary when you’re diving into an unknown pool. So I haven’t just been trying to learn about new trends, I’ve also been trying to increase my knowledge about makeup itself. As always, I want to share my new knowledge with all of my Royals, especially those who are also trying to step their makeup game up!
3 Facts Everyone Should Know About Makeup
- Makeup expires. It’s a mystery to me why I’ve never seen an expiration date on any of my makeup products. Despite this, apparently this stuff we spend so much money on doesn’t last forever! Here are the approximate durations that you should keep some of the most popular products women own:
- Foundation ~1-2 years
- Concelear ~1 year
- Eye Shadow ~6 months-2 years (creams don’t last as long as powders)
- Mascara ~4-6 months (don’t forget to NEVER pump it ladies)
- Eyeliner ~6 months-1 year (liquids don’t last as long)
- Organic Makeup Exists. Organic makeup and natural makeup are not the same thing.Natural makeup is made from pure and undiluted plant derivatives and contain no additives like mercury, alcohol, DEA, nitrosamines, alcohol, isopropyl and polyethylene glycol, or preservatives.Organic makeup is natural makeup, but is from plants of organic sources. It is created from ingredients that do not have any affiliation with genetically modified organisms. Organic makeup companies must meet strict standards as it relates to all of their ingredients and processes.
- There are Fish Scales in Lipstick. *clutches pearls* I was SHOCKED to learn that I owe the shine in my lipstick to fish scales. Before you start throwing out your lipsticks because you think you’re rocking nemo, only ones that list “pearlescence” on their ingredient list have the fish scales. Many companies now use a synthetic version of pearlescence, but some do not. If it matters to you, it’s worth doing your research.
I’ve known this first fact for quite some time, but often have to consult google for how long specific products last and I’m definitely guilty of keeping some things past their expiration date. I mean come on, this stuff is expensive and I don’t use it everyday! You want to be sure to keep a careful eye out for any changes in your makeup products. If you see a change, throw it out! I also don’t spend much time agonizing over ingredients, I typically just take the recommendation of my favorite Sephora sales woman. However, you should definitely be aware of these three facts so that you know what you’re putting on your face. After all, you’ve only got one face and you’ve got to take care of it!
Did you know any of these facts? What other makeup facts should we all know?
It’s time for another Thursday Three Link Up. Who doesn’t love sharing lists on their blogs?? I co-host this link up with two other awesome bloggers. Whether it’s 3 reasons you love your husband, 3 things you hate about graduate school, or 3 awesome birthday gift ideas, the Thursday Three Link Up is a place where you can share your posts and interact with other bloggers. Create an amazing post listing three things of your choosing and link up on Royalty in Reality or LiveLifeWell each and every Thursday!